The weather stations have been predicting winter storm COYER, describing it as the fiercest challenge in years, but before the storm hit today you scoffed at the warnings from Berls, Michelle, and Stormi.
Michelle, of Because Reading, frequently reported about her own shock at what she saw coming. “It’s not me this time, but it’s going to be fierce. Get ready!” she warned the FB group.
Stormi, of Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh My! Admitted her own shock when the she learned what the storm had in store for contestants. “I hope their up to the challenge,” she said.
Berls, from Fantasy is More Fun, was seen wearing a suspiciously evil grin when she told contestants they’d better be ready come December 17th. “This time, it’s going to be a challenge,” she said.
You laughed. Said you were excited. A few expressed nervousness, with a smile. But now the storm is upon you and you realize this was no laughing matter.
A fierce, howling wind rattles your windows, which are already covered in ice. The darkness outside is punctuated with drifts of snow, several feet high. Your doors are all blocked by snow and, at the rate it’s falling, you won’t be getting out until March. March 3, 2017 to be exact. At least you have your pile of books on your kindle, and Amazon to keep them coming.
You rush to the window and watch as a tree, overburdened by snow and the thrashing of the wind crashes into the power line.
You hear a brief crackle and then it’s gone. Your lights turn off. Your Internet connection is severed. It’s just you, your fire, a pile of logs and your fully charged (thank all that is good!) Kindle. And this very strange generator contraption. How does it work? you wonder.
Let Berls, Michelle and Stormi explain.
Welcome to COYER Blackout: Winter Storm!
This time COYER is going to be a 12 week Blackout, where you have to dedicate yourself to reading the books YOU ALREADY have acquired for less than $1.00.
That’s right, you have between now and the start of COYER, December 17th, to acquire the books you’ll be reading during COYER. And they must be books you got for less than $1.00. The only exception is audio books, which you must have purchased for less than $5. They must either be eBooks or audio books.
We understand that we’re all constantly acquiring new books, though. So we’ve provided you a little relief (believe it or not this was all Michelle!), in the form of a generator. Every book powers the generator up a little more. After reading 10 books over 100 pages your generator is fully powered. Books under 100 pages only provide half the energy… So it would take 20 books under 100 pages to power your generator.
Once your generator is powered up, you may read ANY one book you want. Doesn’t matter how much it cost, where you got it, what format it is. But your generator only has enough power for ONE book, so use it immediately and wisely. You can’t save it to use later, it’s now or never!
COYER Blackout will run from December 17, 2016 – March 3, 2017. We will leave the linky open 1 extra day for you to get reviews in, but those reviews need to be posted by the end of the day March 3rd. We will announce winners of (3) $10 gift cards to Amazon or Barnes and Noble on March 4th.
- Can I read ARCS / Review / Netgalley / Edelweiss books? Yes!
- What if I request before COYER begins but publisher doesn’t approve until after COYER starts? They count as acquired before COYER, since you did your part before.
- Is there a page requirement? No. As long as you review it, it counts. But just make sure you’re using your generator correctly for those under 100 page books.
- Can I read library books? Kindle lending library? Borrow books? Sorry, no. Not this time. Check back in the summer 🙂
- What about Kindle unlimited books? Do they count? If the book would cost someone without Kindle unlimited more than $1.00, then no. If it would be less than $1.00 then yes.
Social Media Games
As always, we’ll be having lots of fun in our Facebook group! Be sure to join us if you haven’t yet.
- Monday – What are you reading? With Michelle. What are your reading goals for the week?
- Tuesday – Tease Me with Stormi. Give us a couple sentences from your current read.
- Wednesday – Would you trade places? With Berls. Tell us who you would switch places with from your current read.
- Thursday – I spy with Stormi. See if you can guess what cover Stormi has her eye on.
- Friday – TGIF with Michelle. How’d you do this week?
- Saturday – Wacky Questions with Michelle. She loves stumping us, see what she’ll ask this time!
- Sunday – Announcements with Berls. We won’t be doing update posts on the blog this time. Instead check in the FB group for weekly winners and reminders from Berls.
We’ll also be having 3 Twitter Parties! Make sure you’re following us on Twitter and using the hashtag #COYER. We’re trying a variety of times, trying to get those who always have to miss in on a party! Mark your calendar for:
Friday, December 30th @ 6pm EST – Berls will host this Twitter party to help get our Engines roaring & talk about holiday fun!
Saturday, January 28th @ 12 Noon EST – Stormi will host this halfway checkpoint twitter party! Let’s celebrate our wins so far and gear up for part 2!
Sunday, February 26th @ 4pm EST – Michelle will host this final twitter party! Congratulate each other on a great time and give feedback /ideas for our next challenge.
Our Instagram challenge, brought to you by Michelle, will be in February this time. 28 days of picture, book, and storm fun. Look for details in January.
All you need to do to sign up is make a post declaring your intent to participate sometime between now and December 17th. This post can be on your blog, Goodreads, Facebook, etc. Just link it up below!
Grab a button :
Are You Ready?!Get ready for #COYER Blackout Winter Storm! Sign up today! Click To Tweet