It’s time to celebrate! COYER is turning 5 in August! So it’s time to party!
Y’all! COYER turns FIVE this summer!!! Can you believe it? It’s been an amazing five years and we’re ready to celebrate with a Big Summer Birthday Bash! Are you ready?
Let’s start with the basic rules as always, and then we’ll get to the fun Birthday Goodies!
- The challenge begins June 9th (which happens to Berls’s Birthday!!) at 12am EST and ends August 31st at 11:59pm EST. The review linky and giveaway widgets will remain open until September 1st, 11:59 PM EST.
- You must create a sign-up post anytime between now and July 9th on blog, Goodreads, Facebook, Google+, etc indicating your clean up goal (see below for details). Link your sign-up to the linky below.
- It’s Summer and you know what that means! Anything you read goes! It can be any format, any price, obtained from any LEGAL location. Library? Yep! Borrowed? Yep! KU? Yep? $500? Yep (but are you crazy?)!
- Link your reviews to the linky that will be provided on the Kick-off Post.
- There will be two grand prize winners – $10 gift card – one for the linky review list and one for Birthday Bash Goodies.
Those are the basics, and if that’s all you do, you’ll be fine! But you know us, we have to throw in more fun than that! See below for all the Birthday Bash Goodies!
Birthday Bash Goodies
With our FIVE year Birthday Bash Celebration we’re bringing back some of our favorite moments from the past five years of COYER challenges. Take a journey with us back to 2013 when these two very green bloggers decided to start a challenge called Clean Out Your E-Reader!
In the original COYER, which was just one month (November 2013), we had you declare a goal. The goals were:
- Lightly Clean – 1 to 5 E-books
- Spring Clean – 5 to 10 E-books
- Deep Clean – More than 10 E-books
So we’re bringing back cleaning goals! Of course the challenge is longer (and no longer just eBooks!), so the levels are higher. What will your goal be?
Goody #1: Declare your cleaning goal!
- Lightly Clean – 1 to 10 books
- Spring Clean – 11 to 20 books
- Deep Clean – More than 20 books
Then we came back in March 2014 for another month of COYER – The Original 2.0! At this point we had decided to do COYER three times a year, each time one month long. We decided to do a giveaway at this point for commenting on linked COYER reviews. We said, “Since COYER is best when we’re all interacting, we’ve decided quality commenting on other people’s reviews deserves recognition too.” And we still feel that way, so….
Goody #2: Get up to 3 extra entries a day in the Goody Bag Giveaway Widget for quality comments on linked reviews!
Our third COYER was COYER Summer Vacation (AKA COYER-SV) and we’d already changed our mind AGAIN – instead of doing COYER 3 times a year for one month we were going to do longer events two times a year. And this is the model we stuck with. Every summer since, we’ve stuck with the rule that summertime is fun time and you get to read what you want, no restrictions. It’s like the ONLY official COYER rule. Because we were going for such a long time, we decided some readathons would be fun. We had 7 read-a-thons and so….
Goody #3: Participate in 1, 2, 3, 4, or all 5 of our Summer Read-a-thons! Get extra entries in the Goody Bag Giveaway when you participate and follow the rules Michelle will share in the FB group before each read-a-thon.
- Fairy Tales with a Twist: Read fairy tale re-tellings and give those childhood favorites a twist! Read-a-thon runs Sunday June 17th 12am EST to Saturday June 23rd 11:59pm EST
- Christmas in July!: Read Holiday themed books. Read-a-thon runs Sunday July 15th 12am EST to Saturday July 21st 11:59pm EST
- Dusting Off The Shelves: Read the oldest books in your physical or e-library. They have to have sat on your shelf for at least 1 year. Read-a-thon runs Sunday July 29th 12am EST to Saturday August 4th 11:59pm EST
- Scary Stories by the Campfire!:Read about ghosts, goblins, and any other horror/thriller that would make for a scary campfire tale!Read-a-thon runs Sunday August 5th 12am EST to Saturday August 11th 11:59pm EST
- Short and Sweet! Fill your final days not with Novels but with Novellas! Read-a-thon runs Sunday August 26th 12am EST to Friday August 31st 11:59pm EST
Our fourth COYER we finally stuck to something! We had decided to do two long events a year and we did it! This was the first COYER Winter and we thought it would be brilliant to have a referral competition. It did not work, was too complicated to implement and was a general fail. We will not be bringing that back. LOL! However, this was also the third (and last, so far) time we did mini-challenges, hosted by y’all! So….
Goody #4: Participate in one or all the Mini-Challenges hosted by COYER participants to get an entry in the goody bag. Get an extra entry for being a mini-challenge host. Email email@example.com if interested in hosting.
Our fifth COYER was the Scavenger Hunt. It was a bit of beast to plan and execute, but man was it fun! We challenged you to read books that were off this ridiculously long list, all assigned different point values. This one always comes up when we ask what people have loved in the past. So…
Goody #5: Participate in the mini-scavenger hunt Sunday August 12th 12am EST to Saturday August 25th 11:59pm EST to earn points in the Goody Bag Giveaway. Here’s the list(same as before, minus point values)… start planning
Our Sixth COYER was winter 2016 and it’s theme was Back to Basics. Honestly, I think we were EXHAUSTED from the Scavenger Hunt and needed something simple. However, we still went strong on our Facebook group social media games. They have been a favorite since the started back in COYER #4 – COYER Winter 2014-2015. They won’t be going away any time soon, so….
Goody #6: Participate in the Social Media Games on Facebook (join our group if you haven’t yet), the August Instagram Challenge, and our Twitter Parties for entries in the Goody Bag Giveaway
Here’s our plan for our Facebook Games:
- Monday: What are you reading?
- Tuesday: Cora COYER
- Wednesday: Let’s tell a story…
- Thursday: Tell Me with a GIF
- Friday: Grant a Wish
- Saturday: Let’s Get Nostalgic… COYER Trivia
- Sunday: COYER Update – we’ll update you and you tell us how you did last week!
Twitter Parties Schedule (follow us @coyerchallenge and with #coyer):
- Kick-Off Twitter Party: Sunday, June 10th at 4pm EST
- Friday, June 29th at 7pm EST
- Saturday, July 14th at 11am EST
- Tuesday, July 31st at 7pm EST
- Saturday, August 18th at 12pm EST
- Sneak Peak: Sunday, August 26th at 4pm EST
Instagram challenge will be posted Sunday July 29th.
COYER #7 was another Summer Vacation where anything goes! It was also the launch of coyerchallenge.com! We love having a home for COYER that is separate from our blogs and we hope you do too! We added in some BINGO fun (which Michelle apparently hated even though it was her idea originally, Berls had no idea LOL!). Turns out Michelle hated calling the numbers, so if you did too, you’ll like the way we’re bringing it back…
Goody #7: Fill in 1 or all of the 4 BINGO Boards over the entire COYER Birthday Bash for a point per board in the Goody Bag Widget. Get your bingo boards as a .jpg file or .pptx file!
Our eighth COYER was the Black Out Winter Storm! Berls had a blast writing the sign-up post and just now Berls let out a suspiciously gleeful cackle, re-reading the sign-up post. It was hard and if it weren’t for Michelle’s Generator we wouldn’t have survived. The question is… will you survive Hurricane Berls this summer?
Goody #8: Survive Hurricane Berls Wednesday July 25th – Saturday July 28th, with no generator for a point per book in the Goody Bag Giveaway! Read ONLY eBooks, $1 or less, purchased (not borrowed, but ARCs are ok) before June 9th!
After the Winter Storm, Berls hit a major blogging snag and almost completely disappeared from the blogosphere. As a result, Michelle pretty much launched Coyer #9 – Summer Reading List all on her own (thanks Michelle for keeping COYER going!). And since she loves lists, it was a list. Some of you hate them, and that’s okay. But it’s coming back….
Goody #9: Make a list of 15 books and read a least 10 of them over COYER Birthday Bash to get another point in the Goody Bag Giveaway!
COYER #10 – our last COYER nostalgia moment – was Michelle’s idea, but Berls was back and she finessed the hell out of it making it more complicated (because that’s what she does lol). We did Winter Switch: The Strict, The List, and the One with the Twist! Some of us discovered a surprising love of lists and others gave up completely, but we think we all had fun with the challenge. So….
Goody #10: Join us for the Switch Sunday June 24th – Saturday July 14th for up to 3 points in the Goody Bag Giveaway. Pick your order for the Strict, The List, and The Twist… we’ll do 1 week each. So Sunday June 24th – Saturday June 30th, Sunday July 1 – Saturday July 7th, Sunday July 8th – Saturday July 14th!
This is good old strict COYER. The rules:
- Every book you read must be an eBook or audiobook.
- Every book must be either free or less than $5.
- No library books, borrowed books, or Kindle Unlimited.
For The List, you guessed it… you’re making a list! (And it’s TOTALLY okay to use the list from Goody #9)
- Make a list of up to 15 books you want to read.
- Every book on the list must be in your possession BEFORE you put them on the list.Books on the list can be any format, any price, obtained any LEGAL way… so that means library books, KU, borrowed, etc.
The One with the Twist
The One with the Twist is probably Berls’s favorite…
- You can read ANY book. ANY price. Obtained any LEGAL way.
- The Twist is, you have to stick with one format. If you choose audiobooks, then only the audiobooks you read during this phase will count toward the TWIST. If you choose eBooks, then only eBooks you read during this phase will count. ETC….
WOWZA! We’ve done a lot in 5 years! We hope you have as much fun going down memory road as we have… and we can’t wait to visit the highlights with you this summer. Keep in mind that you can do as much or as little of the Goodies as you want. And you can ABSOLUTELY overlap. If a book qualifies for three or four or five goodies, great!! The point is to have fun revisiting old times!
Michelle has shared a calendar of everything in the Facebook group (the 3 screenshots) so you can see it all more easily too!
Ready? Sign Up!
Questions? Post all questions to the Facebook Group, pinned post that Berls has created. That way once a question gets an answer, you’ll have an easy place to find it. Happy #COYERHappy 5th Birthday to #COYER! Join us for a Birthday Bash Challenge, full of nostalgic moments. Details and Sign up here! Click To Tweet